The purpose of the SLOAN Design Contest is to reimagine a commonly used and rarely redesigned space: the commercial public restroom.
ANY PLACE University (APU) would like to redesign its existing male-female bathrooms to include a futuristic bathroom configuration which takes into account the trends, laws and water restrictions that are likely to be a design concern in the year 2030 and beyond. The original restrooms, built in 1990, exist with the below footprint. Design a space that utilizes updated aesthetics, technology, and products. Consider the impact of space and privacy as well as the need for the restroom(s) to be available during high-volume periods such as between classes or during intermission of APU’s student activities and athletics.
*Note: Fixtures can change in location and number. Interior walls can be removed or added as long as the overall footprint does not change. Do not remove outer walls or support beams.
Design the APU restroom utilizing the existing footprint. Piping can be re-routed. The design should take into consideration:
- High traffic
- The need for privacy
- Water conservation
- Energy savings
- Waste reduction
- Codes and regulations under which universities fall, including the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Updated aesthetic
SLOAN products should be utilized a minimum of one (1) specification.
Your submission should include:
- A scale floorplan of the updated restroom design
- A list of specified materials with a minimum of one (1) specified SLOAN product
- Maximum of 1,000 words explaining your design and reasoning
- All documents must be in .pdf or Word format(s)
Important Dates: Submission Deadline! July 13, 2018 11:59 pm CST
- Go to http://transfer.interiorsandsources.com
- The username is I&S and the password is Transfer (case sensitive)
- Click on the blue arrow located at the top of the screen and follow the prompts to upload the file(s)
A panel of judges from SLOAN and interiors+sources magazine will announce the winner online on August 3, 2018.
The winning entry will receive an all-expenses-paid trip to Design Connections from October 7-10, 2018 at Hyatt Lost Pines Resort and Spa in Austin, Texas. At Design Connections the winner can expect to meet with elite industry professionals on a more personal level as well as participate in discussions and keynote events that provide attendees with an in-depth look at what is happening in the industry. Additionally, the winner will enjoy spa treatments valued at $500 at the Hyatt Lost Pines.
The winning restroom design will be featured in an issue of interiors+sources and the magazine’s social media channels.
For any questions, please contact Kadie Yale (Kadie.firstname.lastname@example.org) before July 13th .