I Like Design is back for its sixth year. The student-based competition revolves around providing current students with an opportunity to showcase their work and connect with design professionals, while having a chance to win a $5,000 scholarship.
This year’s contest offers students the opportunity to design a “pop-up retail-style” space for interiors+sources magazine’s 2017 NeoCon Material’s Pavilion, which is visited annually by some 3,000 attendees in the architecture and design industry. The challenge will push students to consider space limitations, temporality, and the use of materials.
The interiors+sources Material’s Pavilion provides a one-of-a-kind space at NeoCon which showcases hundreds of curated and sponsored materials from around the globe. This exhibit is meant to educate the audience on new materials, from biomimcratic plastics to recycled carpet fibers to tech-embedded wallcoverings.
The challenge will revolve around a retail and exploration theme. The student will be required to design a booth and accompanying fixtures that convey the theme and a strong sense of understanding for materials, display, and space flow. The winning design will be a booth that is inviting to attendees—acting as part classroom, part playground, and displaying material samples in an accessible way.
The design must meet the following criteria:
- Create a booth layout for 1,810 sq. ft.
- Create fixtures which can hold up to 200 samples at 12”x12”, and which can be fabricated and removed quickly and easily
- Signage and wayfinding locations must be identified
- The booth, fixtures, and signage should be created using Arauco products
Projects must be submitted digitally through the competition website by March 10, 2017, 11:59 pm central. Each submission must include the following in PDF, MS Word, and/or Jpeg format:
1. A submission page with the student’s name, expected graduation date, project title, contact information, and a 500-word description of your project.
2. A floor plan drawn to scale of the booth space.
3. A plan drawn to scale of each fixture that is included.
4. 1-3 renderings of the space.
5. Additional elements including specifications, color palettes, and signage placements.
6. Each file should have your last name included in the name.
7. Each document should include your last name and page number in the footer.
Entries will be narrowed down to 10 finalists by the interiors+sources editors and a special panel of judges. These 10 will be open for voting via the i+s website. The bottom two entries every week will be eliminated until one winner is announced on April 7, 2017.
The winning booth will be aesthetically alluring while providing good flow of space for approximately 3,000 attendees over 3 days, and effectively stores and displays sponsor product samples
March 10, 2017 (11:59 pm central)—Submissions close
March 15, 2017—Voting Opens on the final 10 chosen by i+s and the judges panel
April 7th, 2017—Winner Chosen
June 2017 issue—Designer to Watch Spread printed in i+s
August 2017 issue—Student-edited issue
The winner will receive:
- A $5,000 scholarship
- The design will be built and promoted with the winner's information at the 2017 NeoCon Materials Pavilion
- Editorial coverage in the June 2017 issue of interiors+sources
- Role as student editor of the August 2017 issue of interiors+sources
Enter Your Submission Today
Special thanks to our sponsor:
Not quite ready to enter your submission?
Sign up for submission deadline email reminders here: