WantedDesign has announced the third edition of its curated exhibition of international designers (May 17-20, 2013) taking place during New York City’s inaugural citywide event, NYCxDESIGN.
Founded by Odile Hainaut and Claire Pijoulat, WantedDesign has established a successful reputation as a popular and inspiring meeting point for designers, manufacturers, artisans, students, design institutions, the media, and design lovers from around the world. This year, in addition to a strong presence of U.S. manufacturers, designers and design institutions, WantedDesign welcomes participants from countries such as France, Sweden, Turkey, Italy, Austria, El Salvador, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Mexico, Chile, Guatemala, Argentina, Australia and New Zealand.
Building on its successful momentum since debuting in 2011, WantedDesign 2013 will feature a roster of international designers, an enriching conversation series, special events, design school workshop, wallpaper workshop, pop-up store, welcome lounges, and more. WantedDesign is partnering with innovative companies like Ligne Roset, Bernhardt Design, Design Within Reach, and HP to develop ideas that bring new content, facilitate interactions, and inspire visitors and participants to get involved with the global design community.
HIGHLIGHTS FOR THE 2013 EDITION WILL INCLUDE:
• Design Within Reach: DWR continues to be a leader in working with designers or their estates to bring classic items back into production and helping talented, emerging designers launch new products into the marketplace. At WantedDesign, DWR will present nine products by emerging designers, as well as the new Helix Table by Chris Hardy.
• HP: The HP-sponsored wallpaper workshop will be an active space where designers, architects and artists can engage in custom wallpaper designs, and learn more about how to bring their creative ideas to life through the latest printing technologies.
• The “Launch Pad”: As WantedDesign is a place to discover new creative talents and innovative design, this year will feature a dedicated space, the Launch Pad, showcasing a selection of market-ready prototypes from 20 international design studios and independent designers seeking a manufacturer or distributor.
Highlights of Central and South American design:
• “The Carrot Concept” presented by U.S. manufacturer Bernhardt Design: Bernhardt, a long time supporter of design in El Salvador will present “The Carrot Concept”, based on the Salvadoran creative and cultural center of the same name. The exhibit will tell an inspiring story showcasing the sophisticated, surprising, and innovative work of many of El Salvador’s leading creative minds.
• Objeto Brasil will return with its “Fresh from Brasil” exhibit, featuring a great panorama of the best of Brazilian creativity.
• Mixing contemporary vision with traditional craft and native materials, exciting
talents from Mexico, Chile, Guatemala, Argentina as well as from Puerto Rico will
also present their latest creations.
Two historical French manufacturers represent the excellence of Savoir-Faire and design creativity:
• Sevres-Cite de la Ceramique: The historic French ceramics manufacturer will present a two-part exhibit of emerging and established designers: the first featuring the five, young, winning designers from “Design Parade” at Hyeres who spend a year at Sevres to revisit and reinterpret the different techniques; and the second exhibit will showcase the work of celebrated, established designers.
• Saint-Louis: The Cristalleries de Saint-Louis is one of the most revered crystal manufacturers in the world. Its artisans have been practicing the ancient glassblowing and handcrafting skills for centuries, dating back to 1586. With respect to its tradition and experience, Saint-Louis is collaborating with talented designers to create avant-garde collections and will be introducing its new creations to the U.S. at WantedDesign.
International renowned brands from Europe:
• Ligne Roset: The renowned French furniture and lifestyle brand, is supporting the Conversation Series and is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Togo Collection, designed by Michel Ducharoy in 1973, through the introduction of a new style and two new upholstery patterns. One of the new patterns that will be on display in the Conversation Lounge is an Alcantara® material in a very striking houndstooth motif.
• Cappellini: The iconic Italian company Cappellini will present a two-part program at WantedDesign: An exhibition curated by Giulio Cappellini will depict the design leader’s evolution over the past 12 years; and a discussion lab will delve into the vision of Cappellini, with participation from long-standing collaborators as well as U.S. design students.
WantedDesign is delighted to announce an important presence of educational institutions.
• The Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) will be presenting the exhibition “Risk and Certainty in Uncertain Time”, featuring the work of RISD Furniture Design Alumni, curated by John Maeda, RISD President. A demonstration of how students transform their educational experience into professional practices.
• Design School Workshop: For the second year, approximately 20 students from international design schools will attend WantedDesign and collaboratively explore the intricate relationship between water, ritual, routine, and the changing biosphère over the 3 days. The program is supported by Axor and Tai Ping.
• The non-profit organization Raison Pure NYC l’Orangerie, which encourages high school students to learn more about and to pursue careers in design and craft, is presenting its first year program with grade 12 students.
The Conversation Series sponsored by Ligne Roset and supported by Metropolis Magazine takes place May 18-20, 12pm-1pm, in the Conversation Lounge, hosted at Grimshaw. The series will feature discussions with some of the design industry’s best and brightest.
• Press Preview: Friday, May 17, 5pm-7pm
• VIP Opening Party (by invitation only): Friday, May 17, 7pm-10pm
• Open to the public: Saturday, May 18 through Monday, May 20, 10am-7pm
• Address: Terminal Stores - The Tunnel, 269 11th Avenue, between 27th and 28th streets, New York, NY 10001
Sponsors and additional information:
• As of today, sponsors include: Raison Pure NYC; Ligne Roset; HP; 3M; Axor; Tai Ping; La Colombe Café; Kusmi Tea
• Media partners: Metropolis, Surface, Intramuros, Core77, Interior Design
• Organization partner: AIA New York Chapter (The American Institute of
• Architecture and Design Film Festival
• Finnish Cultural Institute in New York and Consulate General of Finland
• Cultural Services of the French Embassy
For more information, please visit www.wanteddesignnyc.com