JASPER, Ind.—National Office Furniture, a brand unit of Kimball International, Inc., released its third annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) report that encompasses the initiatives paving the way for achievements such as reducing hazardous waste and the recent announcement of 100 percent of company-manufactured products achieving the contract furniture industry’s highest sustainable certifications, ANSI/BIFMA level™ 2 and 3.
Furthermore, the 2010 CSR Report goes beyond the numbers to share efforts that increase smiles and make a difference to company employees and communities such as the Gift of Inspiration Program, safe saws, lifestyle enrichment and volunteering.
The 2010 CSR report measures National’s performance in the areas of environmental and social responsibility based on the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The 2010 CSR report includes 38 GRI elements; 17 more elements than in the company’s 2009 report.
With a focus on people, products, facilities and transportation, some report highlights include:
- Nearly 90 percent of solid waste recycled or reused in 2010
- Achieved a reduction of 33 percent of hazardous waste produced per unit
- 1.4 percent reduction of VOCs on top of last year’s 24 percent reduction
- 98 percent of National’s loads are delivered via SmartWay℠ certified carriers
- Recordable injuries are down over 91 percent since 2004
- Donated truckloads of new furniture raising over $40,000 for local Habitat for Humanity
- Assessed chemical usage; incorporated plans to reduce and eliminate chemicals of concern
- Life Cycle Assessments (LCAs) completed on wood casegoods with all products scheduled to undergo this evaluation
Additionally, National employees conducted a one month blitz campaign supporting Earth Day Network’s A Billion Acts of Green in which over 1,000 acts were submitted. The majority of the “acts” submitted were directed at personal and home sustainability improvements further demonstrating the dedication of its people and the profound effect of social and environmental stewardship being an integral part of the company’s culture.
“At National Office Furniture, we embrace the opportunity to be a good corporate neighbor. That’s the beauty of placing sustainability and social responsibility at the core of your business; it improves everything you do and can positively impact your business, personal life, community and the environment. It is powerful and truly a win-win situation for all,” says Kevin McCoy, general manager of National Office Furniture and vice president of Kimball International.
You can view the full 2010 CSR Report here.