CHICAGO—The International Interior Design Association (IIDA) will induct Peter Conant, IIDA, Managing Principal at Conant Architects, New York, NY, as the Association’s president for the 2011-2012 term. Conant will be inducted at the Association’s Annual Meeting, June 12, 2011 at the Museum of Contemporary Art. He succeeds Viveca Bissonnette, FIIDA. Conant, as well as other International Board Members, was elected by the IIDA Membership. In addition, the IIDA Foundation announced three new members will join the Board of Trustees and new Chairs of the IIDA Foundation and College of Fellows have been announced.
Peter A. Conant, IIDA, AIA, LEED AP has designed prestigious projects including corporate headquarters, not for profit organizations, and numerous industry showrooms. Conant has spoken publicly on issues of design at NeoCon, CREW and more. He is a Past President of the IIDA New York Chapter. During his tenure as New York Chapter President, Conant recruited senior industry leadership to the Chapter Board, and dramatically improved the financial strength of the Chapter. In addition he helped the Chapter establish a design awards program and expanded the New York Chapter Leaders Breakfast.
Conant said his objective as he assumes the role of president is to elevate the profession. “My overall goal as President is to elevate and promote the knowledge, professionalism and value of interior design. Designers are leaders in the formation of our built environment, and I see this as a high calling. The collective knowledge and voice of IIDA should provide the leadership and support for this vital industry. I feel that IIDA should be the go-to organization for students and practitioners who are looking to build their careers and practice.”
The full 2011-2012 International Board of Directors includes:
- Peter Conant, IIDA, AIA, LEED AP, President (Conant Architects, New York, NY)
- Viveca Bissonnette, FIIDA, CID, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP, Vice President (HollanderDesignGroup- San Diego, CA)
- Anne-Marie Gianoudis, IIDA, LEED AP, Vice President (Gresham Smith & Partners—Birmingham, AL)
- Susanne Molina, IIDA, Vice President (Klawiter and Associates — Los Angeles, CA)
- Stacy Reed, IIDA, LEED AP, Vice President (The University of Texas System Office of Facilities Planning & Construction—Austin, TX)
- Enrique Reyes, Industry IIDA, Vice President (Milliken Carpet — Spartanburg, SC)
- Felice L. Silverman, IIDA, Vice President (Silverman Trykowski Associates, Inc.—Boston, MA)
- Jack E. Weber, IIDA,MCR, LEED AP, Vice President (Gresham Smith & Partners—Nashville, TN)
- Jim Williamson, IIDA, LEED AP, President Elect (Gensler — Washington, DC)
- Cheryl S. Durst, Hon. FIIDA, LEED AP, Executive Vice President/CEO IIDA Headquarters (Chicago, IL)
New Chairs Named
The IIDA Board voted on recommendations for two other leadership positions; the Chair of the College of Fellows, a two-year term; and the Chair of the Foundation, a two-year term. 2010-2011 International President Viveca Bissonnette announced the appointments.
Peggy Noakes, FIIDA, AAHID, LEED AP, EDAC, has been appointed and will serve as the 2011-2013 Chair of the IIDA College of Fellows. Ms. Noakes currently works for WHR Architects in Houston, Texas and is a past Member of the International Board of Directors.
Felice Silverman, IIDA, Silverman Trykowski Associations, has been appointed and will serve as the 2011-2013 Chair of the IIDA Foundation Board of Trustees, a 501(c)(3) philanthropic organization whose primary mission is to advance Interior Design through education, research and knowledge to benefit IIDA and the Interior Design profession. The Foundation, under the guidance of its Board of Trustees, works in collaboration with IIDA to support the strategic plan of the Association.
In addition, the 2011-2012 Foundation Board of Trustees have been announced:
- Chair: Felice Silverman, IIDA, Silverman Trykowski Assoc., Arlington, MA
- Dawn Fischer, IIDA, NBBJ, Seattle, WA
- Anne-Marie Gianoudis, IIDA, Gresham Smith & Partners, Birmingham, AL
- Jim Klawiter, IIDA, Klawiter & Associates Inc., Los Angeles, CA
- Allen Parker, Industry IIDA, Kimball Office, Atlanta, GA
- Elizabeth Williams, IIDA, Marmon Mok, San Antonio, TX
The new International Board of Directors, Ms. Noakes and the new Fellows, and Ms. Silverman and the new Foundation Board will be introduced and welcomed at the Association’s Annual Meeting on Sunday, June 12, 2011, 1:30 p.m. at the Museum of Contemporary Art.